Ten days ago it started raining, and it rained for three days, almost non-stop. In 48 hours we received 170mm rain, almost half our annual average! On Landmeterskop we had to quickly dug furrows above the dams to get some of the runoff water away from our already full dams.
In spite of the bad weather, our guests still had a good time – relaxing and resting, and fortunately for the children there was the thrill of helping with the milking of the goats and the feeding of the lambs!
The entrance to Landmeterskop Farm.
And on Sunday, with many of the roads closed due to heavy flooding, we had to try and find a road which would be safe for our guests to use, as they had to get back for work Monday morning. And with a little precautionary help from Theunis (as you can see in the photo), they all made it home, safely.
FARM RULES AND REGULTIONS
Guests are requested to take note of the following rules and regulations to preserve the peace and tranquility of the farm as well as for your own safety:
- Always close all gates
- Please ensure all doors and windows are closed when leaving the cottages/homestead due to the frequent and sudden wind. Please also latch and hook doors while at the cottages/homestead.
- No quad bikes or motorbikes. Guests are welcome to bring their own mountain bikes
- Snakes: When walking on the farm you need to be aware of your surroundings and be cautious of snakes. It is advisable to wear closed shoes, socks and trousers. Most snakes will get out of your way. In the event of a snake bite, try to identify or remember the snake, remain calm and call for medical help.
- Due to all the farm animals we can unfortunately not allow any pets.
- No loud music.
- No portable braais/open fires allowed anywhere on the farm, other than the braai provided at the cottages/homestead on the verandahs. Please do not use the interior fireplace as a braai!
- No smoking inside the cottages/homestead.
- The toilet is meant to handle small amounts of toilet paper. Please do not flush any foreign objects down the toilet.
- The cottages/homestead are well stocked with firewood for the fireplace and braaiing. Extra wood is available at R15 a bag.
- Linen and towels provided in the cottages/homestead, but own swimming towels required.
- All visitors to Landmeterskop do so at their own risk and the owners cannot be held responsible for any incident/accident/injury/damage/loss/theft of possessions and/or vehicles.
- The farm’s water is from a spring in the mountain and is eminently suitable for human consumption. The brownish colour is due to plant matter and does not affect its purity or taste.
- We work hard to keep the area clean. Kindly do your part by throwing all trash in designated trash bins, including cigarette butts, candy wrappers, etc.
- Arrival and Departure: Arrival times are normally between 14h00 and 18h00. Guests are requested to vacate the cottages by 10h00 on the day of departure.
- Cottages/homestead should be left clean and tidy ready for the next guest.
Hermanus Medi-Clinic: 028 313 0168
Fire and Rescue: 028 312 2400 / 079 507 7326
Valerie Steenkamp: 0826538110 or 028 341 0479
Theuns Steenkamp: 083 658 8995